How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My HOA says they have I need to have "architectural committee"

Customer Question

My HOA says they have I need to have "architectural committee" approval for permanent construction improvements such as a room addition, wooden patio cover, etc. But they are claiming I can't put up a temporary sun shade or umbrella, under the same clause. That's baloney, right?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No, it is not "baloney" it is up to what your bylaws of the HOA state. This is a huge issue with many homeowners and HOA that many homeowners are not aware of when they buy in the HOA. An HOA can control and dictate to owners what they can and cannot do. Permanent structures generally require architecture, but they could restrict temporary structures as well and it all depends on how the clause reads.
What specifically does the clause state?

Related Real Estate Law Questions