Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Landlord Demand $1500 in additional to $1500 security deposit…

Customer Question
Landlord Demand $1500 in...
Landlord Demand $1500 in additional to $1500 security deposit
Tenancy 4 years, 2 bedroom- 1 floor approx 900 Sq ft
Married, no kids no pets- no shoes in apartment
Cleaned 100% Incl bathrooms, Kitchens walls floors, oven, all corners, floors and no-dirt or mildew. No damage to walls, ceilings floors or Windows
Landlord Requesting additional $1500 on top of $1500 SD
TO: ***** ***** year old carpet & Padding 100% of unit, Sited reasons, furniture marks? Are rug discoloration- “sunlight” Optical spot approx 2”
TO: ***** ***** floor in bathroom due to stain” From wicker basket on floor from Humidity- Including moving washer and dryer and replacing baseboards.
For 30 Hours of cleaning ???
$900 personal time for issues
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/4/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
This sounds abusive.You have 2 options, you can sue your landlord over the security deposit dispute (as the tenant, your claim is for "breach of contract" and "declaratory relief").Or you can try mediation (see my note on mediation below). Most jurisdictions have landlord/tenant specific mediators that are able to help parties in these types of situations for relatively modest fees.Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.