Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Used mobile home sale. I was told previous buyer didn't buy it du…

Customer Question
used mobile home sale. I...
used mobile home sale. I was told previous buyer didn't buy it due to an inspection that found old plumbing. But was told it didn't leak. It does. We turned the water on this afternoon and its leaking badly under the master bathroom area. We don't have the money to fix it. Its under 3 days since we signed the contract. We waved an inspection. New and ignorant to buying.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/4/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Samuel-II, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Samuel-II
Samuel-II, Lawyer
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.Unfortunately, since you waived your inspection, you have no legal recourse on the leaky pipe. That is what inspections are for. It may be best to contact your homeowners insurance and have them come out and see what the cost is to repair and what your co pay deductible is. Then if you feel you can prove that the Realtor knew of the leak and deliberately lied to you about it not leaking, you could bring a small claims lawsuit for the deductible and sue the realtor.
I wish it was better news for you. But that is the reason for inspections, and since you waived it, there would be no legal recourse, unless you can show the realtor was aware of the leak, never disclosed it and encouraged you to waive inspection.
You can sue in Florida Small Claims Court for up to $5000 and you can get the forms from the clerk of the court to file on your own, without the help of a local attorney. So let's say the homeowner's insurance says the repair will be 2300 and you have to pay a $500 deductible, you could then bring a small claims suit for the $500, again if you can prove the Realtor deliberately lied about the pipe and tried to persuade you to waive the inspection.