Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

Can a landlord ask the sheriff to evict tenants

Customer Question

Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
A landlord must ask the sheriff to evict tenants. They cannot do it on their own. But the absolute key is that a sheriff CANNOT evict someone without a court order.
Before the sheriff will remove a tenant from the premises, the landlord must serve notices and go to court to get a court order. But after the judgment has been entered, it is the sheriff who brings the order to the rental premises and stands there until the tenant leaves. Sometimes, the sheriff will pick up the tenant's belongings and put them on the sidewalk.
In that scenario, the landlord typically has the locks changed as soon as the tenant is out, so there's no ability for the tenant to re-enter after the sheriff leaves.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.