How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31735
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am buying land in Ga . I am Legally separated from spouse

Customer Question

I am buying land in Ga . I am Legally separated from spouse for 2 years who resides in NC . can I purchase the land (no house) as fee simple with no joint tenancy or tenancy in the entirety ? There will be a note .
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a Real Estate litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Yes, you can purchase the property in your name alone, and if you are legally separated under NC law, which means that you are living apart and have no intention of resuming the marital relationship (
Thus, anything you acquire after the date of legal separation is considered separate (non-marital) it should be safe from any ownership claim from your spouse. Here's a good link you can read:
The only real issue would be with the source of you must be able to prove that the money you're using to buy the property is money you made AFTER the legal separation....but if you're borrowing money and using your current wages to repay the debt, that should not be a difficult task.

Related Real Estate Law Questions