Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
68197583

I have a business in California and own a (not shared)

Customer Question

Hi, I have a business in California and own a (not shared) parking lot with it. We have a handicapped van accessible space. We are across the plaza from the Boys & Girls club, and people often come and park in our handicapped space. There are signs posted that parking is for our customers only, and that violators will be towed. Can I tow a handicapped car thats not using our business? Do they have any right to sue me? Is there a CA vehicle code I can print out and hand to them?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.
If you own the lot and you have posted signs as you stated above the law is located at Vehicle Code Section 22658 Removal From Private Property
“22658. (a) The owner or person in lawful possession of private property, including an association of a common interest development as defined in Sections 4080 and 4100 of the Civil Code, may cause the removal of a vehicle parked on the property to a storage facility that meets the requirements of subdivision (n) under any of the following circumstances:
(1) There is displayed, in plain view at all entrances to the property, a sign not less than 17 inches by 22 inches in size, with lettering not less than one inch in height, prohibiting public parking and indicating that vehicles will be removed at the owner’s expense, and containing the telephone number of the local traffic law enforcement agency and the name and telephone number of each towing company that is a party to a written general towing authorization agreement with the owner or person in lawful possession of the property. The sign may also indicate that a citation may also be issued for the violation.”
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/vctop/vc/d11/c10/a1/22658
Please let me know if the information I provided was helpful. Please feel free to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter.
If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I may receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.
Thank you for using JA!