How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry Esquire Your Own Question
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Dimitry Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son rented an apartment in Philly from an online site, sent

Customer Question

my son rented an apartment in Philly from an online site, sent in $500 rent and $1000 deposit. When he arrived in Philly (from northern Maine) he discovered that the landlord's version of "off street parking" is, in fact, "on street parking." Landlord insisted that it was the same thing. Son says he made clear he needed parking, didn't even go inside the unit. He drove to a hotel and is now renting somewhere else with parking. What are his rights for refund of his monies in the state of Pennsylvania?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. I happen to be Pennsylvania licensed and Philadelphia based, and will do my best to help.
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
To answer directly, most deposits, unless stated otherwise, are deemed to be 'non-refundable'. Your son is not inherently entitled to a refund. However if the property is not 'fit' for his use, or there is a claim for misrepresentation, your son can argue that he never accepted the unit and is therefore entitled to a full refund because the unit did not conform to his specifications. On that basis he can take the landlord to local court if the landlord refuses to issue a refund, and pursue him for the funds. Hope that helps! Sincerely, ***** *****

Related Real Estate Law Questions