Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

In the state of VA, if a renter contracted a company to do…

Customer Question
In the state of VA...
In the state of VA, if a renter contracted a company to do a repair without my consent which caused new damage to the home (i.e. drywall removed and not replaced, holes in wall), was the contractor legally allowed to go on my property and do this? Who is responsible for repairing these damages?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/1/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Richard, Lawyer
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
The contractor would not have necessarily known that the tenant did not have the authority to engage him. So, it wouldn't be illegal for the contractor to perform work at the direction of the tenant. BUT, the contractor would still be liable for the damage caused by the contractor. AND, so too would the tenant be liable to you as the tenant though having apparent authority clearly did not have actual authority. Thus, if one or both of them don't step up to fix the damage, you would want to file a suit naming both of them as defendants. The court can then allocate the responsibility between the two of them. But, you are the innocent and injured party here and you have recourse against both parties.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
The contracting company which performed the work, I had stated in the past verbally to their main office that I'm the only person who can authorize repairs. They did this repair regardless leaving several large holes in the drywall. In this case would the contractor would be liable? Would have I have to have written documentation that I'm the only person authorized?
Thanks for following up. The contractor is going to be liable in any case because they caused the damage and did not repair it. On the verbal instructions on who could authorize the repairs, you would have a cause of action if you can prove that you gave them this instruction; but, in my experience, they'll likely simply deny it and then it becomes he said/she said. But, even then, because they caused the damage, they would still have liability.