How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118286
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What rights if any does a non tenant to live in my house

Customer Question

What rights if any does a non tenant to live in my house without my permission. She was an ex girlfriend of my brother who just passed away less than 24 hrs. ago she called the police to have my Brother's daughter (had come to be with him during his last hours) put out of my house. Neither of their names are ***** ***** deed my deceased husband & I purchased the house several years ago so my brother could live there once he was released from jail, She was no where in the picture & has never been where the house is concerned. I want her out she just moved some of her belongings into my home once he got sick & was in the hospital. I was told by the police that my nieces had to leave because she had stayed there off & on with my brother & I would have to drive from Detroit, MI to Tiptonville, TN to evict her. How is it legally possible for me to have to go through this to get a squatter out of my house? I am over 70 yrs. old with many heart & other medical issues. Is there a way to do this by mail, telephone, e-mail or other more economical ways other than me having to try to get there physically? My phone is ******* e-mail ******
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Sadly, because she was living there with your brother, she has become a tenant. You do not need to physically travel there to evict her, but you would at the least need a local attorney there to evict her and that is done by the attorney giving her a letter demanding she leave in 3 days for non-payment of rent and then upon her not leaving they would file suit and the court will order her out of the house and if she does not leave they will send the sheriff to forcibly remove her.
Until you drag her to court, this type of woman is going to continue to abuse you and your property.