How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry Esquire Your Own Question
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Dimitry Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My nephew just got married and his wife's grandpa owns over

Customer Question

My nephew just got married and his wife's grandpa owns over 1000 acres in Pennsylvania. I am told there are squatters on parts of the vacant land. is there any way to remove them without a lot of costs. Is there any recourse to recover for damages to the property and or clean-up of the property.
Is the laws defer in the state of Penn or it is the same county to county for the state.
I have read that a squatter may have rights if they have maintained and improved the area for a period of 21 years even though they never had permission to be there or paid any rent.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a licensed Pennsylvania professional and will be happy to assist you with your concerns.
To answer directly, squatter rights are the same throughout the whole of Pennsylvania. And yes, it is true that if the squatters have been on the property in an 'open', 'notorious', continuous, and hostile manner for the statutory period, they can claim the property as theirs. The way to remove them would be as would any tenant, meaning that written notice has to be given to them to leave the property, and if they refuse, take them to local court for an eviction order (known as a 'writ of possession'). Once granted, this writ has to be given to the local sheriffs who actually end up forcibly ejecting them from the premises. If you do not use an attorney, the costs may be fairly low, but all the steps have to be followed for this to be seen as a legitimate ejectment. You cannot sue for damages to the property, however.
Dimitry, Esq.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information. If I need additional help I will be in contact.
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome, truly! I will be glad to assist you further if necessary. Otherwise, kindly do not forget to positively rate so that I can obtain credit for my work. Thank you!
Dimitry, Esq.

Related Real Estate Law Questions