Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

We live in Alabama my wife inherited some land does my name

Customer Question

We live in Alabama my wife inherited some land does my name need to be on the deed or just hers she wants to leave my name off and make a will deed to her Daughter because I have 2 Sons from a previous marriage.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
That would be up to your wife. As an inheritance, even though she received it during your marriage, this property is her sole and separate property and would not be part of your marital property. As such, her name should be the only one on the deed if she wants to retain it as her sole and separate property and leave it to her daughter in her will. If she were to add your name, then you would own an undivided 50% ownership in the property and thus would control 1/2 of it upon your death. So, given what you state is your wife's desire as to what happens to the property upon her death, her name should be the only one on the deed.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!