Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

Tenant signed and was notorized that he was moving out by a

Customer Question

tenant signed and was notorized that he was moving out by a certain date, he didnt, can i call cops to make a report to have on file
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
While one can call the police, the police are unlikely to take an interest if he did not break in to begin with. Tenants that overstay by end of lease or nonpayment must be evicted via the CIVIL system, i.e. the eviction process.
So you can call, and there would be a record of the complaint, but the authorities are unlikely to do anything - the person has to be evicted by the Court.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what step should i do next and what forms do i need...he was given his deposit back but he didnt move on good faith and with letter be notorized saying he was to move out
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Is this NY, or, NYC?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
new york
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
See here for step by step instructions.
Honestly, using counsel is easy. For a few hundred dollars or less, they can do this quickly and efficiently.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.