Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

How to stop a neighbor from building a fence on his property

Customer Question
line that blocks the entrance...
How to stop a neighbor from building a fence on his property line that blocks the entrance to my yard?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/29/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Welcome! My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.
How can I determine if he has a permit?
1. Depending on whether you are looking at a city, county, or Homeowner's Association regulation regarding the 4 feet limit, you would need to check with that entity to determine if a permit has been issued under your neighbor's name or address. This information should be considered public information and you should be allowed access to it.
2. Typically, a prescriptive easement is created when someone uses land for access such as you are doing here. However, these cases are harder to win than those where your parcel would be land-locked if the fence was built. That is called an easement by necessity. The MD case at the link below explain the MD law on necessity easements:
http://mdcourts.gov/opinions/cosa/2012/1861s09.pdf
If you are not able to work something out with the neighbor, you will have to sue him to obtain a court order that says he cannot built the fence on his land in a manner that blocks access to your yard because you have a easement by necessity there. This can be done via a declaratory judgment suit {DJ} :
http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/courts-and-judicial-proceedings/title-3/subtitle-4
Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Also, if you need a refund, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer. Best wishes for 2015!
Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer