RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I want to know if I can be sued by a family member who has stored household appliances in

Customer Question

I want to know if I can be sued by a family member who has stored household appliances in my pole barn. She and her brother are fighting over their deceased father's household goods which they stored for free six months ago in my pole barn. I sent them a certified letter giving them two months to get their stuff out of the PB because I'm putting my house up for sale and need to clean out the PB to show it. I don't know what belongs to whom anyway. Some of that stuff has been out there six years and the pole barn has been unlocked on and off over the years.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If you no longer want their stuff stored there, for the reasons stated above, then you did the right thing by sending them written notice, regarding removing it, within the next two months. Any dispute needs to be resolved by them and if you know they both have an ownership interest in the appliances, then it is not up to you to decide who gets what. As such, they can both appear and distribute the items or one can come and get them. They were both placed on notice and need to act or else you could have grounds to dispose of it, as you see fit. Your only obligation would be to provide them with notice and tell them to remove the items in the time you gave them. After that, if neither comply, they could not likely come back and sue you, if one of them takes it all or does something with it.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!