Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I am renting in an apartment building that has a main entry

Customer Question

I am renting in an apartment building that has a main entry door and access to the units in the hallway. There has always been weekly housekeeping of vacuuming, sweeping stairways, and cleaning the glass entry door. The housekeeping employee had a severe auto accident last year and could not continue her job. Shortly after that the on premises manager was fired. Since that time housekeeping has stopped. The hallway was vacuumed once because an apartment was available and being shown. I think one other time vacuumed since Oct 2014. The hallways are now filthy. The door is a blur of sticky fingerprints. I complained to the on site assistant manager about the dirty hallways. She informed me that there are no plans by Corporate to hire a housekeeping person. Tenants were never informed of this rather important change. I assume the housekeeping costs (salary) were factored in the ever increasing rent prices. This is a quote from my lease: "27. DEFAULT BY OWNER. We'll act with customary diligence to: (1) keep common areas reasonably clean." To me customary means once a week. I am waiting to hear any news from Corporate but unsure of any response. I would like to know how Colorado law sees this sort of issue. Any information would be most appreciated. Are they in default of my lease? Thank you, ***** *****

Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Would you mind sharing with me what relief you are seeking, outside of having this done so the area is clean? Have you been damaged by it in any way?