How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In June 2013 I purchased a home with a contract lease to own

Customer Question

in June 2013 I purchased a home with a contract lease to own from a guy who said that the house was owned by his grandmother who has been deceased for almost three decades so I agree to put a huge deposit down and he the legal owners grandson said he was inheriting the house and was going to court to get the titlehe also said he was the only heir and that the court process should only take about a year to be done since the beginning of the agreement I have totally remodeled this house when I agreed and had no she rocks no flooring no bathroom no kitchen no electrical I spent almost $150,000.00and to getting the property and living condition as well as homeowners insurance and paying all property taxes due what should i do at this point to gain legal ownership of this house he also have not came back return phone calls or showed any interest in the property please help
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
Dear Customer, I am sorry to learn about this situation. Unfortunately land sales contracts (lease to own deals) are rife with fraud - and you very well may be a victim of such a scam. The best thing you can do to protect yourself and your investment at this stage is to hire an attorney to represent you. You can also go to a title company and have a title report pulled, but most property law attorneys have relationships with title insurance companies and can get you a title report for less than the company will charge you directly.I am very sorry to learn of this, and I wish there was some more specific direction I could point you in, but unfortunately you are likely a victim of fraud and going to be suing for either damages under fraud and breach of contract, or equitable theories to recover the value you invested into the owner's property - if you are not going to be able to recover ownership.You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
For additional research on this topic, the California Attorney General has prepared this publication - most of the information is designed to help people prevent fraud, but it can help you review your own documentation to assist in preparation of your own claims.

Related Real Estate Law Questions