Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a patio lot in a resort in Texas and have back HOA fees…

Customer Question
I have a patio lot...
I have a patio lot in a resort in Texas and have back HOA fees do. I have tried to get rid of this property but no luck. What can be done to rid myself of this debt I am retired and on a fixed income
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/27/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.
You may want to see if the HOA would accept a deed in lieu.You would be deeding it back to them and they do not pursue you for any deficiency.This would allow you to be rid of it and any more HOA fees.
You can mention that you may have to file Chapter 7 if they do not go along.This may help them agree here to take it back.
Otherwise you may decide to let it go into foreclosure.In Texas they likely will just take it back, they may decide not to pursue deficiency.
I think talking to the HOA about Deed in Lieu here is a good first step,They may well agree to take it back here and resolve this.
Reference to Deed in Lieu as an option..
https://www.atgf.com/tools-publications/pubs/deeds-lieu-foreclosure-advantages-disadvantages-and-drafting
I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.