P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
11181181

My landlord just came by to drop off some hurricane information.

Customer Question

My landlord just came by to drop off some hurricane information. he saw that we had a 10x30 above ground kiddie pool and a swing set in the backyard for our kids. we were told that the pool had to come down and the swing set within 48 hours. He said that if we get renters insurance the swing set could stay but no neighborhood or other kids could play on it. there were no stipulations to these items in our lease. What are my rights?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
If there is no prohibition against having the items you described within your lease? When you can maintain them.
When parties agreed to terms for a lease of real property, those terms will dictate the rights and responsibilities of the respective parties.
What you're describing, if you have leased the home, the terms of that lease will dictate your rights as well has the landlords rights.
Again, if there is no prohibition to having a kiddie pool or swingset? Then you can maintain these items.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.