I elected to place my...
I elected to place my home for sale in Ohio. The asking price is $87,900. The agreement with my agent clearly stipulates that date of possession would be 30 days subsequent to closing.
The potential buyer originally made an offer that I found unacceptable, I countered and they buyer made an offer of $86,900 which I accepted. When I signed the seller's agreement I again stipulated in writing that date of possession would be 30 days subsequent to closing.
In the interim I had several verbal conversations with my agent who stated that the buyer's were adamant about taking possession the date of closing. In each conversation I stated that was an inarguable point and not a matter of negotiation.
I signed the offer to sell on May 18, 2015. It was presented to the buyer. On the morning of May 20 I received a text message from my agent stating that they buyer was insistent upon taking possession the date of closing and threatened to ' hold up the sale or kill it'. I called my agent on the phone - which went to voicemail - and advised him that, based on the fact that I would not alter the stipulations I made previously regarding date of possession, told him I would rather just stay in the house and asked him to remove it from the market.
Then just a few hours later received another text message from my agent stating that, contrary to the earlier threat, the buyer was 'working on an extension' which I took to mean perhaps seeking an extension on the lease to their apartment
or residence. This statement, of course, only holds a certain amount of credence, and represents no concrete fact that I may depend on or make decisions on.
I feel like I am being manipulated. I am finding it hard to believe the buyer can turn 180 degrees in his position in the matter of four hours. I begin to wonder if the buyer were truly made aware of my steadfast stipulation that I would not waiver on the point of possession. I feel like if someone led the buyer to believe that I could be convinced, coerced or intimidated into changing my mind, the buyer was not told the truth.
As regards ***** ***** of the threat made by my agent, apparently on behalf of the seller, to hold up or kill the sale - which would tie my house up on the market removing all potential opportunity for me to sell, I reacted in my own way by requesting the sale be terminated and my house to be removed from the market. I understand completely that I am obligated to the agent for a six-month term and at this point would just simply not even try to sell the house.
My question would be - do I have the same rights to 'kill the sale' same as the buyer who has placed me in a position to either acquiesce to his demands or lose the deal?