Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm looking to see if i can possibly be assisted with a

Customer Question
I'm looking to see if...
I'm looking to see if i can possibly be assisted with a matter i have in regards ***** ***** of delinquent property tax in the state of south Carolina. I purchase 2 properties that are located in a place call collecton river in bluffton sc 29910 which
is a neighborhood that has it's annual fees and they are super high their fees are about $18000 to $25000 per year. I bet on 2 lots that are located withing that place and i'm not sure if i do win those lots will i be obligated to pay those fees? .As far i
heard from locals i would have to be obligated but i'm not sure so i would like to know my legal actions as i don't have the capabilities of paying that money plus that was not mention at the bidding day.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
ALSO I'M NOT SURE IF I DO NOT PAY THIS WILL THEY PUT A LIEN AGAINST ME OR TRY REPOSES ANY PROPERTIES UNDER MY NAME OR WHAT POSSIBLY CONSEQUENCES CAN THIS BRING. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE POSSIBLE OPTIONS .
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/21/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
If you do become the property owner, you will be liable for paying the liabilities on the property (property taxes, and any private dues, such as HOA assessments). Some HOAs or CIDs (Common Interest Developments) do in fact have very high assessments, and you will be responsible for those, you can be held personally liable for these amounts in addition to having a lien placed against the properties.It is important to get a title report on properties that you are bidding on (even though you are not going to be liable for most outstanding liens, you will be liable for future obligations incurred due to the association or common interest development, property taxes, or public utilities (school districts, schools, fire departments)). If you have already bid for property, you may be permitted to withdraw your bid, but that would be determined by the rules of the auction forum, so get this information as quickly as possible as the sooner you get the information the better your opportunity to remedy the situation before becoming owner of properties that you cannot afford.
Hi . William thank you for your answer . The time given to the original owner is one full year which in this case is on October 3, 2015. Im not sure where to obtain the proper rules and information as for my case withdrawing would be most likely my best option. Do you know where or who to contact to obtain such information ?
The trustee who is running the auction. They should have rules published, or will have them available upon request. You may need to retain counsel to represent you in this - many auctions do not permit bids to be withdrawn, but it is possible to find a basis to do so with very careful review of the contract (bid), so if you don't see a basis to withdraw on your own review, you may want to contact a civil litigation attorney right away.
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer