Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Neighbor moving a property stake to his advantage. What is…

Customer Question
Neighbor moving a property stake...
Neighbor moving a property stake to his advantage. What is my recourse?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/20/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
Here it is in your interests to locate the true boundary and make use of all the property up to the boundary.You can either fence it, landscape it, park a car on it,etc.
As long as you are making use of the land there can be no claim of adverse possession.
Adverse possession is the process of claiming title to real estate by taking it and occupying it for a period of time. Adverse possession requires the following conditions to be met: i) actual possession of the property; ii) open and notorious use of the property; iii) exclusive use of the property; iv) hostile or adverse use of the property; and v) continuous use of the property. Texas has several adverse possession time periods; the catchall time period is 10 years
By reclaiming and making use of it you avoid any claims here.Even some flowers or shrubs or a bench reflect use and control of you property by you.
As long as you do that you will be fine.You certainly may want to move the stakes here to the proper location and then make use of all that is yours to avoid claims of adverse possession down the road.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Here is the Texas law, note this would require them to hold it and make use of it for 10 years to claim it by adverse possession.
http://www.lonestarlandlaw.com/Adverse.html