Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Thanks Richard: Follow up question and answer: I am supposed…

Customer Question
Thanks Richard: Follow up question...
Thanks Richard: Follow up question and answer: I am supposed to go to the Westcoast Escrow office later this afternoon to sign the escrow papers. I have signed any official papers nor received any money from the buyers. So far, it was me who paid for inspection,
appraisal, etc. The documents they want me to sign today include 'terms of transaction', 'commission instruction', seller information sheet, real estate withholding certificate, disbursment of net proceeds, 1099-S form, Notary document. Thanks for the additional
answer, would I have to pay any commission or portions thereof?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/20/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Richard, Lawyer
Hi there. I answered this in the original thread. But, just in case you didn't receive it, I've reposted it below for you. :)
You're very welcome...it's my pleasure to help. It will depend upon your listing agreement. If you simply signed it without reading it, it likely says the commission is earned when the broker finds an "able and willing buyer." This can always be negotiated out before signed by demanding a commission is only earned when and if the sale closes. But, if this wasn't changed, you're likely to have to fight the broker over the commission.
This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could assure you no commission was due, but these brokers are sneaky with these provisions in that they know very few people actually read them. I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/real-estate-law/93qz1-seller-townhome-los-angeles.html#ixzz3aiO3WJUY