Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Recently leased a 3bd.2ba from someone. There were no window

Customer Question

Recently leased a 3bd.2ba from someone. There were no window treatments at the windows (blinds) even though it speaks of them in the lease. I asked Landlord when was he planning to install some because the lease mentions he should've had blinds at the windows prior to my move-in. I've had several people walk up to the windows peeking in. Landlord claims I'm responsible for putting my own blinds up. I'm a 68 year old widow raising my 2 grandchildren. Their mom (my only child) passed away last year. My rent is $1600/month. Question: When I move next year, anything attached to the property remains, is that correct? If I invest this $1300 for blinds, isn't that deductible from the rent?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
""When I move next year, anything attached to the property remains, is that correct? If I invest this $1300 for blinds, isn't that deductible from the rent?""
.
.
Anything that can't be removed from the property without causing damage would be considered a "fixture" and would have to remain. However, things like window treatments aren't generally considered fixtures even though the brackets are normally attached with screws. So if you took them with you, the landlord could only charge for any minor repairs like touch up paint and caulking any screw holes.
.
But no, any money you invest in the blinds would not be recoverable if you chose to leave them because they are your personal property and you can do what you wish with them once your tenancy is up.
.
As far as the landlord providing them, if there were none when you took possession, the landlord wouldn't be obligated to provide them unless it expressly states this in the lease. A tenant takes the property in the condition that they find it in subject to any local housing or code violations, which are the responsibility of the landlord to cure.
.
.
thanks