Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have 10 acres. I rented a home on the property. I have moved

Customer Question
I have 10 acres....
I have 10 acres. I rented a home on the property. I have moved a trailer on the property, is it legal for me to stay there from time to time?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/19/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Did you rent the entire ten acres as well as the home under any lease to the tenant?
.
Or did you just rent them the home and any surrounding yard?
.
Or does the lease not specify exactly what the tenant rented?
.
.
thanks
The lease does not specify. I rented a house. This is in California. They had some yard. But did not use the rest of the property.
Ok, if the lease doesn't specify what the tenant rented, but does specify the address of the house, then I would opine that they would have the use of the house and any attached yard, but not the remainder of the ten acres unless the lease specifically states this.
.
With that said, if the remainder of the ten acres wasn't included under the lease, then there is nothing that would prevent you from living on it.
.
.
thanks
Thank you. Also, can I verify that once a lease is over it just reverts to a month to month, but you still have to give notice to terminate.
Once a fixed term lease expired, it automatically converts to a month to month tenancy if the landlord and tenant agree to continue the tenancy. If the tenant has lived there over a year, then the landlord has to give them a 60 day written notice to terminate under CA law (CA Civil Code 1946.1) The tenant can terminate with only a 30 day notice though.
.
.
thanks
Barrister, Lawyer