J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

I want to avoid paying a real estate agency fee if possible.

Customer Question

My question is if a property was listed with an agent and and a potential buyer visited the property and thereafter, the property was subsequently removed as an active listing, how long after the removal is the agent still entitled to a commission if a sale occurs to the same potential buyer.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to providing you information. Please note:
(1) this is general information and is not legal advice. I never propose a specific course of action. There is no attorney-client relationship or privilege that is formed when communicating to an expert on this site. The site repeats this disclaimer numerous times. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and
(2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
There is a provision in a listing agreement that states the following or something similar:
"This obligation of OWNER to pay compensation to BROKER shall also apply to any purchase, exchange or other conveyance of Property, within _________(_____) days after termination of this Exclusive Listing Contract or any extension thereof, to anyone who, with the knowledge of OWNER or BROKER or any agent thereof, made inquiry about, inspected, or negotiated to purchase, exchange, or otherwise obtain title to said Property during the term of this Contract or any extension."
Be sure to review your listing agreement. Typically this is 90 to 120 days after termination. Absent such a provision, which would be very unusual it would be considered to be a "reasonable time". That can be argued based on the circumstances and then is left up to a judge, but again will usually be 90-120 days.
All my best & encouragement.
Kindly remember the only way experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on ok, good or excellent service even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. You must complete the rating for the expert to receive any credit. If, for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns.
All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.
Expert:  J. Warren replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if I can provide further information.