How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116831
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother and my father are on title to a mobile home. My

Customer Question

My brother and my father are on title to a mobile home. My father co-signed. My brother traded the mobile home for a travel trailer. Los Angeles County has been issuing unsecured property tax bills. My brother is MIA don't know where he moved to can't find him. How do I remove my father from owner of the mobile home. I don't have any paperwork other than the unsecured property tax bill.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your brother could not have legally traded the mobile home without your father's signature if your father was on the title. Unfortunately, without your brother being able to be located, this is going to be a bit complex. Your father would have to sue the person that he traded the mobile home to and seek to rescind the sale or to agree to file to remove your father from the title and also to have the current owner made liable for any outstanding taxes.
This means that your father, I am sorry to say, will need to hire a local attorney to take the buyer to court if the buyer does not agree to resolve this matter and pay the taxes from the date he acquired the mobile home and remove your dad from the title.
So first, try to work this out with the buyer, since the transfer was not legal without your father's signature and you could take the mobile home back from him and if the buyer refuses to resolve this, your dad will need an attorney to sue in court to get the tax issue resolved and the improper transfer of the property without his signature resolved.