Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My brother and my father are on title to a mobile home. My

Customer Question
father co-signed. My brother traded...
My brother and my father are on title to a mobile home. My father co-signed. My brother traded the mobile home for a travel trailer. Los Angeles County has been issuing unsecured property tax bills. My brother is MIA don't know where he moved to can't find him. How do I remove my father from owner of the mobile home. I don't have any paperwork other than the unsecured property tax bill.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/18/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your brother could not have legally traded the mobile home without your father's signature if your father was on the title. Unfortunately, without your brother being able to be located, this is going to be a bit complex. Your father would have to sue the person that he traded the mobile home to and seek to rescind the sale or to agree to file to remove your father from the title and also to have the current owner made liable for any outstanding taxes.
This means that your father, I am sorry to say, will need to hire a local attorney to take the buyer to court if the buyer does not agree to resolve this matter and pay the taxes from the date he acquired the mobile home and remove your dad from the title.
So first, try to work this out with the buyer, since the transfer was not legal without your father's signature and you could take the mobile home back from him and if the buyer refuses to resolve this, your dad will need an attorney to sue in court to get the tax issue resolved and the improper transfer of the property without his signature resolved.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer