Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I own a condo and the CC&R's do not address how to hire a management

Customer Question

I own a condo and the CC&R's do not address how to hire a management firm. The only verbage I could find is that the board has the authority to sign a contract. Shouldn't the homeowners' have a say in this. It will increase our dues substantially & other homeowners want to retain control & sit on the board & keep our dues low.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Good evening. The board has statutory authority to hire professionals to assist in management. The board is not required to obtain member approval to hire a management company unless the bylaws require such approval. See RCW 64.34.304.
The bylaws should, however, require any extraordinary increase in assessments be voted on, as well as challenging the annual budget.
I hope this is helpful. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean by "challenging the annual budget? Thank you.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
I meant that if the membership does not approve the budget and the bylaws have a procedure to challenge the budget.
Best regards.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 years ago.
Did you have further questions before you rate my answer?