How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a document from the management office of the coop I

Customer Question

I have a document from the management office of the coop I live in that says both my domestic partner and I have joint ownership with right of survivorship. My partner died. What do I have to do to prove to the manager of the building that I have the right of survivorship to the shares in the coop?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
I don't see why you have to prove anything to the manager of the building. Your ownership right is clearly stated in what I assume is a form of stock certificate issued by the co-op Corporation . A surviving joint owner should notify the Sec. of the Corporation of the partner's death, perhaps with a copy of the death certificate and request that the name on the the co-op share be changed on the books and records of the Corporation. it would be up to the officers of the Corporation, i.e. the secretary to notify the building manager that you are now the sole legal owner/tenant of the unit.