How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116715
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Sublet a room in a 2--bedroom Apartment to ease my financial

Customer Question

sublet a room in a 2--bedroom Apartment to ease my financial burden My roommate paid for some months consistently but has not paid for this month which was due on May 2nd He pays $660 plus $60(electricity bill ) I text him,called couple of times --no response Moreover,he has been paying me in trickles for the months of February and March-By trickles I mean little by little So he has $552.68 arrears to pay I gave three day eviction notice to pay or quit He ignored it He is owing me --$ 660. 00
$552. 68
$60 00
TOTAL $1272. 68
PLEASE I need your help I'm not working right now and I need him to pay me Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your next step is that you have to go to the court and file a petition for eviction and serve your roommate with the suit and summons for unlawful detainer, which gives him 5 days to answer and the court will hold a hearing and order him forcibly removed from the premises. Here is an overview of the process for you to see:
Here are the forms and instructions for you to file your own unlawful detainer case:
You can also sue after the unlawful detainer case in small claims court for the money due and the small claims clerk will give you the forms or you can get them at