How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry Esquire Your Own Question
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Dimitry Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother passed February 12, 2015. Left me her house in her

Customer Question

My mother passed February 12, 2015. Left me her house in her Will. What is the process to have it turned over into my name. Not sure I want it because it has a $30,000 mortgage and a $10,000 home equity loan on the house. I'm renting it out now to pay the mortgage but the house is still in her name. What do I do? I have no idea. Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a licensed Pennsylvania professional and will be happy to assist you with your concerns.
My condolences to you on your loss. The process here would require you to go through probate. In Pennsylvania that would mean that you would need to contact your county's probate office and bring a copy of the will with you to the office along with a copy of the death certificate. You would then need to ask that you be made an executor or executrix (based on gender), which would allow you to contact creditors such as the lenders, wind down affairs, negotiate debts, and once that is done, pay any remaining taxes and then transfer the property under your own name. You would need to first contact the lenders as the executor to potentially refinance it under your own name since a mortgage against the title would bar title transfer.
Dimitry, Esq.