How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Damien Bosco Your Own Question
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2580
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Damien Bosco is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There is inheitance propety in the family. 3 siblings are

Customer Question

There is inheitance propety in the family. 3 siblings are left. One of the sibilings has been living on the property and has been paying the taxes for about 35 or 40 years. The question I have is can this person sell the property and distribute the proceeds to the family members living and to a representatitive family member of the ones that have died? And if the person who has been paying the taxes on the property can get reimbursed for the years of doing so? This property is located in the state of Virginia.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 2 years ago.
The only person who can arrange the sale of the property is the personal representative of the estate if the property is still in the decedent's name. The person who was living there and paying taxes would not be reimbursed since there person was living there. However, there could be some negotiation with payment if the person was also paying capital expenses to maintain the value of the property in the long run because all benefited from it. We can discuss more if you would like.

Related Real Estate Law Questions