Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I'm a Vietnam veteran buying a house. It's in escrow and the

Customer Question
appraisal has some repairs that...
I'm a Vietnam veteran buying a house. It's in escrow and the appraisal has some repairs that need to be done, no permits required. I'm a licensed General Contractor and Cabinet Maker, #741202. Is there any conflict with me doing the repairs?
Craig Lam
#741202
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/4/2015
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) You may or may not see a timer on the question. The site is doing some testing, but do not worry, this timer should not get in our way. The question may be answered sooner than the timer ends, or a little after. The timer may reset or it may not. Point is - I will try and make it work for our conversation; and(C) For the sake of clarity I may break my replies into several parts, so there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies. Ergo, until you see me saying "I am ready to be rated," that means I am still working with you and we have not finished yet.The answer is no. No law prevents the buyer from doing the repairs. However, it is important that this agreement and all actions are well documented, so that the seller cannot claim that the buyer (i.e. you) damaged the home in case later on you find issues and attempt to hold the seller to them. I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct.. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Ely, Counselor at Law