How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7311
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have a 2nd (rental) home. We are selling

Customer Question

My husband and I have a 2nd (rental) home. We are selling the home. We are not willing to live in the home to avoid capitol gains for two years and will remain in our primary residence. However we are wanting to purchase long term care.Can we use the profits from the sale of the home to purchase ltc (hybrid and/or annuity that converts to ltc) withing a certain timeframe after the sale of the home to avoid some or all of the capitol gains? BTW: we do not currently have a hybrid policy
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
No. Investing the profits from the sale of real estate in a certain type of investment does not avoid capital gains. That is, unless there is a tax deduction for purchasing LTC in and of itself. You can find out about that with a phone call to your tax preparer.

Related Real Estate Law Questions