How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry Esquire Your Own Question
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Dimitry Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive got a seriously nosy LL and i need them to leave me al

Customer Question

Ive got a seriously nosy LL and i need them to leave me alone
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. How exactly can I assist you, what specifically is your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My land lord used to live at my address. The neighbors call them constantly about everything. Two days ago they showed up to "look" at the fence they were supposed to replace the week I moved in. They text me that my dogs got out. They text me that my dogs are in the house. Accuse me of making changes to their home when I removed the mail box to keep it from getting damaged by a delivery driver who dropped off my mobile office. They seem to schedule an upgrade or repair every week and I've only been here a month. I want them to leave me alone.
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
The texts that you were sent, were they correct? Were your dogs out of the property, or in the home? And did you make changes to the property? (Removing a mailbox, regardless of legitimate need, is legally a change). Please advise!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. But all of it is really none of their business
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
Actually it is their business. Since this is their property, they have a right to ensure that the property is not damaged or misused, and can demand that you repair any damages done to it. Furthermore if you are using the property in a manner that can create violations from the city, such as zoning or issues with dogs getting loose, the landlord is liable to the city as the home-owner--likewise he can then make you be financially responsible for any costs that he incurs. While you may see it as the landlord being 'nosy', what he is doing in this instance is very much within the law, as he has a vested interest in making sure that the property you rent remains habitable, safe, and that he avoids fines from the city. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Constant daily contact is acceptable?
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
Daily contact, if necessary, can be upheld as acceptable. But it does border on harassment if the contact is not designed to inform but to annoy. In other words if the landlord sees a new violation on a daily basis, sending a daily message is acceptable. Sending a daily message over the same violation would likely be seen as potential harassment. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I understand. So if my dogs are in the house when I'm not there which is in the "house rules" and she messages me constantly about it. That may be considered harassment. So really there is nothing I can do to get them to leave me alone they can schedule a repair or upgrade every week of my lease legally.
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
No, if this is a violation, and it is a new violation (you brought the dogs in before you left), it is seen as a new violation and the landlord can inform you by contacting you. As for scheduling repairs, they DO have to first obtain permission from you. If you do not consent, you can bar entry if home, and that would not violate your rights as a tenant. Furthermore, you can inform them that if they continue to enter the premises constantly, they are violating your right of 'quiet enjoyment' of the premises, and that may give you the basis to even pursue a claim via the courts for your damages. Does that help clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes that gives me an idea of what I can do.
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
Fantastic! Please let me know if I can help assist you in any other way. Otherwise, if satisfied, kindly do not forget to positively rate so that I can obtain credit for my work. Thank you! Sincerely, ***** *****