Real Estate Law

I was going to move into a student housing for college but…

I was going to move...
I was going to move into a student housing for college but hen my mom lost her job and couldn't afford it my dad and i both signed the lease and now the student housing facility says i owe the 7,000 dollars even though i have not moved in what can i do?... Read full answer
I was going to move into a student housing for college but hen my mom lost her job and couldn't afford it my dad and i both signed the lease and now the student housing facility says i owe the 7,000 dollars even though i have not moved in what can i do?
3/25/2014
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Legal Eagle :

Good Evening. I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Legal Eagle :

Good Evening.

Customer:

Is there any way i can get out of this i never moved in and i called a month in advance to tell them i wouldnt be moving in

Legal Eagle :

What does your contract state? Does it provide time for notice?

Customer:

i dont have a copy of the lease the student housing has it

Legal Eagle :

Ok. You want to request a copy of the lease, so you can determine exactly what the requirements are. However, general landlord/tenant law provides that you if you breach a lease before the lease term is up, you are responsible for rent until it has been occupied.

Legal Eagle :

This means that you may be on the hook, but if they fill that spot with someone else, you can only be liable for the time it was open.

Legal Eagle :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

yes, but there even trying to charge me for meal plans but i have never had a meal there can they do that?

Legal Eagle :

I would not think so, but without the paperwork it is hard to say. I have a hard time believing that you would be liable for a meal plan that you are not using. Have you talked to anyone there?

Customer:

yes and they all tell me i owe them for everything even though i havent stayed there had a meal there or anything

Legal Eagle :

what college/university? Do they have any information online that I can look at quickly?

Customer:

It would be the regency student housing

Legal Eagle :

regency? is that the college?

Customer:

no i was going to go to Metro university they dont have on campus living the regency is the housing facility

Legal Eagle :

Ok. This is in Denver?

Customer:

yes sir

Legal Eagle :

Ok. I can't find any information about the leases on their website. You should request a copy of the lease from them. Have they started collection?

Customer:

No everytime i call the manager is never there i leave messages she would never response so after a while i just stopped trying but on saturday i recieved an email saying my balance is 7,000 I'm only 19 there is no way i have that type of money

Legal Eagle :

I understand. Respond to the email requesting proof of the debt--a lease, invoice etc. They have to provide proof of the debt to be able to move forward with collection. If they don't, they can be subject to serious fines, etc. Also, if they don't provide proof of the debt, they may not be able to collect at all. It is part of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. This will allow you to get a copy of the lease and then you will have a better idea what is required. My guess is they are trying to railroad college kids who they don't think know any better.

Customer:

That may be it i tried to ask if i would maybe pay 50.00 a month because thats all i can afford and the lady was like okay thats fine. and that was it no directions no address to send it to or anything

Legal Eagle :

Email/ or call them back and ask for proof of the debt. Also, I would ask them if you paid, if you could move in--just to see if they had it full or not. I wouldn't make any payment until you get a copy of the lease and see exactly what it says. After you have the lease, you should jump back on here or seek out another attorney to look things over and advise you then. You are doing the right thing by trying to find out your options before doing anything.

Customer:

Thank you you helped a lot!

Legal Eagle :

You are welcome. I am happy to help again if needed.

Legal Eagle :

Thanks.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I lost my job and could not afford my rent which was under a
I lost my job and could not afford my rent which was under a lease. I notified the facility manager giving 30 days notice of my move out, paying the rent for that month. Leaving 2 months of the lease … read more
Lawyer,
My 19 year old nephew is a college student in Orlando, Florida.
My 19 year old nephew is a college student in Orlando, Florida. He signed a lease for The Gatherings Apartments in Orlando in February 2013 after taking a tour in January 2013. He is He has since hear… read more
Attorney,
My college student lives in housing that, though not affiliated
My college student lives in housing that, though not affiliated to the school per the Super of the Building, only houses students attending the university. These students are offered three different o… read more
Owner,
Stop searching for answers—
I am oldest of seven children, set up life estate for folks
I am oldest of seven children, set up life estate for folks in 2003 when my husband and I moved up there (at the request of Mom for someone to come up there and help them. Come to find out, other than… read more
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
Juris Doctor (JD)
My name Alecia I am a 21 year old from Massachusets and a student
My name Alecia I am a 21 year old from Massachusets and a student in Memphis, Tennessee. I moved into an apartment in Mamphis on July 15, 2011 (yesterday). This morning July 16 (today) my car had been… read more
Owner,
19 year old students discussed renting a house off campus with
19 year old students discussed renting a house off campus with a landlord, a lease was signed, however no copy of the lease was given to the students. No deposit was given to the landlord. The student… read more
Attorney,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My boyfriend and his ex-girlfriend both purchased a house together.
My boyfriend and his ex-girlfriend both purchased a house together. The ex-girlfriend had previously short-sold her house and her credit was lousy. They each put in $7500 to make the down payment. The… read more
lwpat
lwpat
Hi, my daughter(19) lives in the Park South Apts in Alexandria,
Hi, my daughter(19) lives in the Park South Apts in Alexandria, MN with her ex boyfriend. they both signed the lease but but its his mom who is the co signer. His family has a histor of domestic abuse… read more
Lawyer,
My daughter signed a lease for an apt, which she did not spend
My daughter signed a lease for an apt, which she did not spend one night in. She asked to be let out of the lease, filed a vacate paper. She thought she was out of the lease and went to live else wher… read more
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty
I manage rental properties for my brother and handle all the
I manage rental properties for my brother and handle all the lease agreements, evictions, payments, deposits, etc. I ran an add in the local paper listing a house for rent for $600 per month plus $600… read more
Attorney and Counselor at Law, Mediator,
We were forced by our current apartment complex to sign a lease
We were forced by our current apartment complex to sign a lease for an August 2010 - July 2011 term in December of 2009. They sent us a letter explaining that if we didn't sign the lease by February 2… read more
Partner,
My mom owns a house in Indiana. She lived in the house and
My mom owns a house in Indiana. She lived in the house and planned on living in the house. My mom and dad got a divorce causing my Mom to have to leave the house and get a job in Texas. My Mom rented … read more
lwpat
lwpat
Stop searching for answers—
my moms lease isnt up until 12/24. back in October, she
my mom's lease isn't up until 12/24. back in October, she said she was going to renew until 12/24/2010. she changed her mind because she realized she couldn't afford it. she told them that she didn't … read more
Owner,
Property QCd from mom and dad to mom dad and daughter #1,
Property QC'd from mom and dad to mom dad and daughter #1, as joint tenants in May. Dad dies in August. Mom executes and records a Grant Deed placing property in name of her Revocable Trust in Sept. A… read more
i have a 1yr lease with a roomate. We both signed and we both
i have a 1yr lease with a roomate. We both signed and we both have parents who cosigned. This was extension of last years lease and we have 8 more months to go. My roomate, who lost her job, and suppo… read more
Partner,
My daughter is a college student who signed a 12 month lease
My daughter is a college student who signed a 12 month lease along with two room mates. the lease has a severalty provision which makes each individual responsible for the whole lease even if the othe… read more
Partner,
My name is XXXXX XXXXX we have been served by our broker for
My name is XXXXX XXXXX we have been served by our broker for $13,000 Dollars for breaking our lease. They made a offer to us for 113,000. I was in Louisville ky. at the time. 2days after we accepted t… read more
Partner,
my old lNDLORDS ARE CHARGING ME AND ONE ROOMATE 7,000 ...
my old lNDLORDS ARE CHARGING ME AND ONE ROOMATE 7,000 DOLLARS UN DAMAGES AFTER PUTTING DOWN A 2400 DOLLAR DAMAGE DEPOSIT. THEY WANT TO CHARGE ME FOR 55 HOURS OF WORK AT 50 DOLLars an hour to clean the… read more
rvlaw
rvlaw
Judge,