How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attyadvisor Your Own Question
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7228
Experience:  29 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Attyadvisor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

May I sue my spouse that has abandoned this marriage for his

This answer was rated:

May I sue my spouse that has abandoned this marriage for his 2006 Federal Taxes that I paid after the abandonment..please understand, I did not know at the time I had been abandoned. He left me for work in NJ and started an affair unbeknownst to me. He also had me send over 20,000 US dollars to a home broker in NJ to lease a home under the pretense that I would be moving there. He thought that I would not be able to break the lease, however, I was and I did; however, was unable to recoup the broker's fee of 2,600 US dollars. Am I able to recover any of this money?

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Can you tell the state that you reside in? Where were you married? Do you want to sue him for the money you paid for Federal Taxes?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I live in the state of Pennsylvania. He either lives in New Jersey or New York, not sure. Yes I do want to sue him for the Federal Taxes that HE owed, mine were taken from my pay check, he was self employed. Also I want to sue him for the house rental scam where I lost 2600 dollars.

You can certainly file suit against him for any money that he owes you.

How long ago was the lease situation?

As far as the 2006 taxes, did he agree to pay you back?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes he did agree to pay me, he asked me specifically to file jointly to help him lower his self employment taxes and promised to reimburse me for the favor. He is is so much trouble with the IRS that I refused to file any other year jointly. He owes over 74,000 US dollars to the IRS. He is currently in a chapter 13 bk however, it was filed in May. He is hiding under the protection of the chapt 13, however, the IRS has filed an objection which will require a hearing. A Federal Judge has denied the plan for now. He is entitled to a hearing I understand that but he does not make enough money to satisfy his debts. He still has not filed his 07 08 09 taxes. He is in trouble. So far as the NJ rental home, he signed a lease with me. When the affair was discovered, I demanded that the broker find a new lessee asap and refund my money. I was refunded all but the broker's fee, and he agreed that he would pay me back because he felt so sorry for the affair and betrayal. I haven't seen a penny. Further, he has told me since "chalk it up as a loss" "get over it". I have other issues as well, that involve threats, I will take that up with the local Police.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We were married in Virginia, and I have file for divorce in Pennsylvania.

I am so sorry that you are going through this with him.

You can absolutely sue him for any money that he owes you. It does not sound as though he has the ability to pay his debts at this time.

Hopefully you will be able to locate him to have him served.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.
Attyadvisor and 3 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you.