Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

CAN I SUE TO PREVENT A MECHANICS LIEN? MY GENERAL CONTRACTOR

CAN I SUE TO PREVENT A MECHANICS LIEN?

MY GENERAL CONTRACTOR DID NOT SECURE PERMITS AND FILE INSPECTIONS, AND HE KILLED 2 TREES (50' TALL) BY BURYING THE TRUNKS. THE DYING LIMBS NOW HANG OVER MY TRAILER!

ALL THIS CAUSED ME TO BE INVOLVED WITH THE TWP. INSPECTORS, REGULARLY - WHICH WAS NOT A GOOD EXPERIENCE. I WAS STILL LIVING 60 MILES AWAY WHEN POSSIBLE.

INSPECTORS AND THEIR BACK ROOM OPS PUT ME IN A BAD SPOT, TOO. THEY SENT LETTERS IN THE MAIL THAT WERE OBTUSE IF NOT INDECIPHERABLE. THIS WAS WHAT I HIRED THE GC FOR - TO DO IN PERSON WHAT I DIDN'T WANT TO DO!
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You can sue first, but the mechanic can still place a mechanic's lien unless you put up a bond to secure payments. However, it seems from what you are saying the contractor is in breach of contract which means you would likely end up the victor on the suit. You filing suit does not necessarily stop the mechanic's lien I am afraid until the court decides on the lien.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Might the costs to me, indeed double as their attys. say / threatened if I contest, don't pay, take them to small claims, go to the BBB?

Thank you for your response.

You could incur more attorney's fees from the contractor only if you lose your case, yes. But if you win the case you would not incur those fees.