How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Pro Your Own Question
Law Pro
Law Pro, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 24870
Experience:  20 years extensive experience in real estate law, foreclosure, finance, and landlord tenant law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Pro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in a new construction home. We had a flood in our

This answer was rated:

We live in a new construction home. We had a flood in our finished basement, which is our media room (6 inches of water). After the walls were cut out to prevent mold, our handyman discovered that one of the main sewer pipes that connects from the roof to the basement was not capped. So during a major storm we had in July, all of the water drained into the basement. We know the builder is liable, and he has replaced the walls, etc. and capped the pipe, however he has not asked us what items were damaged and how much he should remburse us for our destroyed property, such as speakers, subwoofers, couch, etc. What is the best way to handle getting reimbursed without having to sue him?
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be the attorney assisting you.

Have you put together an itemized list and the cost of such together?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Fred,


Yes, we have an itemized list and the costs.

First, realize that the builder isn't probably paying for your damages out of their own pocket - they are most likely turning the matter over to their insurance carrier.

Have you asked the builder for the name of their insurance carrier, insurance policy number, and contact information?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, we have not. We should probably send this request in writing, via email. I will draft the letter and send it out to him and let you know what happens. Thanks so much for your advice.




I would actually send the request by certified mail, return receipt requested, so that he knows you mean business at this point.

Absolutely he, or his insurance carrier, is liable for your damages. They will want an itemization.

However, the good news is - that you have all the damaged goods still in your basement.

Don't throw anything out till the matter is completely resolved - check in hand.

Then after that, you can dispose of the items. Potentially, you may even have to make claim for the additional costs of disposal of the property. Check on that.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer.. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).
Law Pro and 4 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions