How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attyadvisor Your Own Question
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7061
Experience:  29 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Attyadvisor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to evict my daughter, from a previous marriage, and

This answer was rated:

I need to evict my daughter, from a previous marriage, and her husband from my house in Flowood, MS. Where can I obtain an editable eviction notice to tailor to my needs and how long do I have to give them according to MS law? They claim to have a lease but that was so they could register their child in school and obtain government assistance. I signed no lease, the verbal agreement was that they were to pay all utilities, which are still in my name, associated with the house. Now I find out that they have sold some very valuable antique furniture at a garage sale they had that belonged to me. They have caused problems between my youngest daughter and me. They have stated in the lease that the utilities are included in the rent. They say the rent is $750.00 a month. I have not received that amount since they moved in at the end of Feb this year. All the utilities combined may come to $250.00 a month average. Can you help?
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

There is no written, this was just a verbal agreement? Were they to pay any rent other than paying utilities?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As far as the verbal agreement no. But the lease they say they have says they are to pay $750.00 a month. They have destroyed the carpet in every room and even removed the carpet in the dining room without my knowledge.

If you never signed the lease that is not a valid lease. What was your agreement?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That they could live there as long as the utilities were paid by them and on time and until my divorce was settled. They said that if the house was awarded to me in my divorce which it has they would buy the house from me. Now they are saying they can't afford the house. I want to sell it and can't while they are there and causing further damage to the house.

I understand. Thank you for the clarification. In that case you would provide a 30 day notice.

The first step is providing the notice to quit. You would provide them with 3 day notice for failure to pay rent and a 3o day notice for violation of a lease term.

This links provides a free notice to quit

You can provide the notice in the following manner;

1. Send the notice certified mail return receipt requested

2. Personally deliver the notice to someone over the age of 13 living in the house.

If they do not vacate you would need to file an eviction action with the court. A summons will be delivered to the tenants and they will receive a hearing date. The Judge would then order the eviction.

Do you think they will vacate per your notice or will you need to obtain a court order?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am allmost certain they will want a court order

I am sorry that you are going through this with them!

This link outlines the steps

The clerk of the court will have the forms for the summons and complaint.

A hearing date will be scheduled and the court will order the tenants to leave within a certain number of days. If they fail to leave at that point the Sheriff will remove them.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions for me withe regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went to Rocket Lawyer and the form is not free.


The notice information did not edit properly, for non payment of rent you can provide anywhere from Three (3) to Thirty (30) days.



Rocket lawyer is part of this site and it is supposed to be free. Let me provide a few more links.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

3 Day Pay or Quit Notice

Date (dd/mm/yyyy): _______________

Tenant's Name: _________________________

Address of Rental Unit: ____________________________________________________________

This notice is to inform you that the rent payments are overdue for the above premises which you currently hold and occupy. The total amount of payable rent is $ __________.

Your rent payments for the following time periods are due and payable immediately:

Rental Period ______________________________ Rent Amount $ __________

You are hereby required to pay the rent owing in FULL within 3 THREE days. No partial payment of rent will be accepted.

If you fail to do so, legal proceedings will be instituted against you to recover the premises, the rent owing and any relevant damages as allowed by the law.

_____________________ Date ______________________________


Let me know if the link works for you. Thank you.


Attyadvisor and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Good luck. Thank you for using JA!