How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing attorney with expertise in easements
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, my question is about representing yourself and presenting

This answer was rated:

Hello, my question is about representing yourself and presenting a legal claim against a Real Estate company. Will the company's insurance carrier pay on a pro sea representation or do you have to actually file suit?
Thanks for using JA. I will do my best to answer your questions. DON’T FORGET the your deposit is not used to compensate me until you rate my service.

It depends on the nature of the claim and whether the real estate company denies the claim. For example, you slip and fall on their property due to their obvious negligence. In such a case the adjuster for their insurance company would try to settle the claim with you. You would have actual damages in lost wages and medical costs. However, if it is a claim that the real estate company denies or where the damages you claim are difficult to determine, then you will have to file suit. Further, you damages cannot be speculative.

For example, you have prize roses that win the first prize of 500 at the county fair every year and someone destroys all your roses. The 500 is considered speculative since you might not win this year, you can only sue for the sale value of the roses, not the 500.

Normally it pays to have one or more attorneys evaluate your case. If none of them are willing to take it on a contingency basis then the insurance company is highly unlikely to settle with you. Further, the type of claim must be one that is actually covered in the policy. For example the negligence slip and fall would be covered but a criminal act, such as slashing your tires, would not be. Hope this helps and thanks for allowing me to assist you today.
lwpat and 7 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you