Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My 28 yr old daughter rented a house in Marietta 12 months

ago and over the last...
My 28 yr old daughter rented a house in Marietta 12 months ago and over the last 2 weeks she felt like her house smelled odd. Then she though mildew. She has not had her windows opened in a month. The last 4 days she has been pet setting at my house while I was gone. Last night when she went home opened her door and all she smelled was mold mildew and dampness. She went into her office and found her book shelves are molded all around the bottom, her desk chair has mold all up to the seat and some of the back. She had nice pillows which are ruined along with all the mold in her closet that is now on her cloths. My daughter took pictures of all the damage and called the landlord and also told her that the carpet was damp.
Today her landlord called her and told her nothing to worry about just mix up a little bleach in water and it will wipe right off. She never one offered to have the carpet cleaned and find out why this has happened. She could not afford renters insurance, What can she do. I feel like this is a serious issues (health) wise. My daughter has never been late with her rental payment and has put in several roses to make it look nice.
Please advise,
Her Mom, Sandy McKeever)
XXX-XXX-XXXX [email protected]
10/14/2013
RealEstateAnswer
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The first thing to do is to try and identify where the mold and mildew is coming from. There should be no reason that the carpet was damp, unless there was some type of leak or issue in which water was getting into the home. The landlord certainly has an obligation to investigate the matter and correct it. Not only could it cause potential damage to the home and your daughters personal belongings but could possible effect her health. Your daughter needs to make it clear to the landlord that this is more then just a matter of cleaning it up and someone needs to be sent over to investigate. Your daughter could very well have a legal basis to break the lease and vacate if the landlord refuses to correct this problem. The remedy of using water and bleach may be reasonable if the issue was just cleaning it but once damage is being caused and there is issue with her health, the matter is more serious then that. Your daughter should place the landlord on notice, in writing, of the problem and demand that someone be sent over to investigate the situation. If the landlord refuses to comply, she could be in breach of the lease and your daughter could possible vacate and even go so far as suing the landlord for damages, as a result of being forced to move, since she failed to take any action.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer