How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrea, Esq. Your Own Question
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  I have practiced law for 25 yrs. with an emphasis on real estate, business law, criminal defense and family law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Andrea, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in an HOA, have just this year done in home daycare.

This answer was rated:

I live in an HOA, have just this year done in home daycare. my lot is huge 1/2 acre, and there is quite a distance to the fence, the lady behind me has claimed I am a nuisance. All my neighbors are behind me. This lady has on numerous times left notes in my mailbox, stood on something and yelled at us over the fence if we are doing something she does not like. I feel she is harassing me. Why move into a family neighborhood if you don't like kids. I am allowed an home business as long as it is not a nuisance. There are other daycares and hospice in the development. Can I fight her? If I can get my neighbors to sign an petition or letters, will that be enough? Can ONE person control so much? I will hire a lawyer if I need to, I don't want to stop my business. It was 8am when the kids were outside (4 kids), I have since kept them in till 9am or later.
Thank you

Hi, Dawn, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you,


I am sorry that you have such an obtuse neighbor. She has no right to harass you or to prevent you from conducting your business for which you have permission from the HOA Board to conduct. I am surprised that the Board has not done anything about her harassing behavior towards you. You can get a Petition signed by your other neighbors and you can also file a lawsuit in Small Claims Court, asking the Court to issue an injunction, enjoining her from continuing her harassing conduct towards you. Bringing an action in Small Claims Court will not cost you an legal fees, just the nominal Court filing fees because you do not need a lawyer in Small Claims Court. An injunction is a Court Order which, if violated, she can be held in Contempt of Court and be subjected to a fine and in certain extreme instances, even jail time,



Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to give me a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,



If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,



Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,




Andrea, Esq. and 4 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you