ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
19487448

I am trying to buy property in Texas from a foreign corporation

I am trying to buy property in Texas from a foreign corporation that is not registered to do business in the United States; however, the property is in its name. Two questions:

1. Can it give a good deed on the property to change ownership?

2. Would it have standing in a Texas court for any enforcement proceedings regarding the property?

ScottyMacESQ :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacESQ :

1. Can it give a good deed on the property to change ownership? - Yes, because it need not actually do business in the state to own property and transfer property.

ScottyMacESQ :

2. Would it have standing in a Texas court for any enforcement proceedings regarding the property? - Yes, but only so far as the property is concerned. Because it is not registered, it can't sue and be sued, except so far as the property is concerned. This is called an "in rem" action.

ScottyMacESQ :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!