Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience in General Practice, Real Estate Law and Estate Law.
68197583

I Live In Illinois. I Purchased A 10X12" Storage Shed At An

I Live In Illinois. I Purchased A 10X12" Storage Shed At An Auction 3 Weeks Ago And Have Called Several Companies To Move The Shed But Have Been Unsuccessful At Getting Any Of Them To Move It Promptly. The Homeowner WhereThe Shed Is Located Is Now Charging Me $10/Day Until It It Moved And Also Stated He Wil Bill Me If The Yard Is Damaged Whenever The shed Is Moved. Is This Legal?
Welcome and thank you for your question. I am an Illinois licensed Attorney and it will be my pleasure to assist you.

Did the homeowner auction the shed? What the terms of the auction agreement state with regard to removal of the shed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Shed Was Auctioned On A Saturday And The Following Monday The House Was Sold And New Owner Closed That Monday. I Do Not Recall There Were Any Terms Regarding Removal Except It Was My Responsibility To Remove It.

Generally, if damage is caused by one person to another's persons property the person that caused the damage would be responsible.

That being said, it would be very important to know the terms of the auction to determine of the property owner can legally require you to page a storage fee. Was there any requirement to move the shed the day of the auction?
Sorry the edit feature is not working properly.

That being said, it would be very important to know the terms of the auction to determine if the property owner can legally require you to pay a storage fee. Was there any requirement to move the shed the day of the auction?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. There Was No Requirement To Have The Shed Moved The Day Of The Auction. I Don't Remember The Auction BillStipulatingg A Specific Time Frame Either.

In the absence of any agreement to move the shed within a particular period of time, it may be difficult for the owner to require a storage fee. If you did not agree to pay a storage amount the owner would need to file an action in court to recover the money he believes he is entitled to receive. A Judge would weigh the evidence and make a determination.

If you knew you would be purchasing a shed in advance and you were required to remove the shed that day, I am sure that you would have done so.

As far as damage to the property, if the property was damaged after the owner purchased the property he would be entitled to have the property damage repaired or seek reimbursement. If he did not own the property at the time of the damage he is not entitled to recover any money from you.
Thank you.