Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I was a transaction broker in a renting transaction, holding

escrow for a prospective tenant...
I was a transaction broker in a renting transaction, holding escrow for a prospective tenant. Tenant applied late to HOA with no reason and when approved by HOA, did not move in. It has been about 10 days and tenant claims they are not moving in because they are still out of town for work reasons. I tried to have them sign the escrow release, suggesting them they settle with landlord, they have refused. I understand I can disburse to landlord, please confirm. If tenant sues me, do they have any chance of harming me in any way?
10/4/2013
Law Pro, Lawyer
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be the attorney assisting you.

So the tenant did sign an application guaranteeing they would lease if the HOA accepted them - correct?

yes

If that be the case - then the "tentant" is in breach of the lease and you can give the landlord the escrow.

The contract is the contract - if they executed a guarantee and the escrow would be released upon their being accepted - this shouldn't even be an issue now because the escrow should be immediately given to the landlord.

No, you would have no personal liability releasing the escrow monies to the landlord.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer.. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).

I wish you the best in the future.
Law Pro, Lawyer
Law Pro, Lawyer