Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I got a VA Loan back in 2006 for a home. I defaulted on that

I got a VA Loan back in 2006 for a home. I defaulted on that loan due to being overseas and getting seperated from my ex wife. The orignal loan was through Country Wide Home loans and they were bought by Bank of America. I have been trying since 2007 to get information as to the state of the loan and how I can go about clearing it up. Today I was finally told that BofA did not hold the loan anymore even though it is reported on my credit report that they do. I am trying to by a new home and the VA advised me to get legal advice as to how to get Bank of America to give me the answers that I need. Please help. If you can provide me with a lawyer who specializes in this area I would thankful. I have been trying to resolve this for years and it is frustrating.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response: You need to check with your Registry of Deeds/Recorder of Land Records. If the County where the property is located is online, you can go their web site to see if the Registry of Deeds is online so that you can conduct search of the property to see what has been recorded on the property to date. The recordings would include ALL assignment of mortgages. With this information, you can figure out exactly who is holding the mortgage on the property at this time.