How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 117460
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been living in a rental home now for 1 year and 1 month.

This answer was rated:

I have been living in a rental home now for 1 year and 1 month. The rental property has an extreme mold problem in the basement which has now traveled up to the main living area. I have addressed this problem with he realtor numerous times and have not been contacted back nor have they remedied the problem. I have numerous items stored in the basement which now are infested with mold, e.g. furniture, washer and dryer. I don't feel it is a safe environment any longer, what are my options. I don't want to have to move, I am having troulbe finding other housing I can afford.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the landlord is refusing to remediate the mold, they are in breach of lease. If you have given notice of the remediation needs and they have refused, you have the option to call the department of health who can come out and cite the landlord, you can consider withholding rent until it is remediated or you can consider paying for the remediation and deducting it from rent and you need to send the landlord a letter informing them that if they refuse to remediate as required, you would take one of your legal options.

Unfortunately, if you have not signed a new lease you are a month to month tenant and they can evict you at any time with 30 days notice. At this point you need to consider filing a complaint with the department of health and building inspector first. Then you need to send a letter to the landlord telling him of their breach and you would avail yourself of one of the legal remedies I mentioned above or you will sue them for breach and the cost of you having to move.

These are your legal rights.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions