How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do i evict an ex fiance from my home.

This answer was rated:

how do i evict an ex fiance from my home.

Good afternoon Lorne,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Below are links to the forms you will use in the CA court to evict your ex fiance.

Under the law, if the reason for eviction is the failure to pay rent, or a violation of the rules, you may file the eviction after the Three Day Cure or Quit Notice is served on them.

If they are month to month tenants and you just want them out, and they have been there less than 1 year, you must first serve/hand or post at their door a written 30 day Notice of Termination of Tenancy. If they have resided there more than a year, the notice must be a 60 day notice.The process, after you file the Unlawful Detainer Complaint in the court, from start to finish takes on average3 to 4 weeks and I’m sorry, but there is no way to expedite it beyond that time frame.

If rent is paid on the first, you can serve the notice at any time, but it won't be effective (the end of the 30 days) until the end of month following the day you first serve them with the Notice of Termination. Here is a link to the 30 day notice of termination form that you must first serve on them (you may convert it to a 60 day notice if necessary. If she will not leave voluntarily leave by the end of the notice period you will need to file the Unlawful Detainer action to evict them.

Here are the forms you will need---the Summons and Complaint for Unlawful Detainer, the Default form if they don't file an Answer to the Complaint, and a Judgment form:

Unlawful Detainer Form

Judgment Form

Default Declaration

Do it Yourself Guide for Evictions

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in your future.



LawTalk and 2 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Lorne. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question.

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.