How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 38892
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 19 year old who inherited a piece of real estate with

This answer was rated:

I have a 19 year old who inherited a piece of real estate with his mother and now wants to sell it in Desoto County MS. What is the estimated time frame to get this completed and do you have any idea of the cost we should expect?

Obtaining a decree to permit a minor under 21 years of age to sell real property is considered an action in "equity," which means that it is decided entirely by a judge without a jury. Since there is no opposing party/defendant, in such an action, and the court acts on its own discretion, obtaining an order.

The petition is relatively simple, though there is no official form. See generally MS Code Title 93, Chapter 19. So, you would either have to hire a lawyer to draft the petition, or visit a law library and find a standard pleading sample (none are available online for free).

I would estimate that a competent attorney could handle this sort of case for no more than $1,000-2,500, and that it would be completed within 30-45 days, dependent upon whether you are in a rural or metropolitan area of the state.

Please let me know if I can clarify my answer or provide further assistance.
socrateaser and 7 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions