How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116727
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Suntrust Loan Modification turned down.

This answer was rated:

We hired a lawyer to help with a home loan modification. The lawyer, although professional, did not do anything to communicate this loss. We were foreclosed upon and lost our home. We did file a NYS Grievance with the Attorney....however, in 8 months time, the committee sided with the Attorney. We are not only interested in obtaining our loss of our home (which in the end my elderly parents did purchase); we are wondering what are options are? The Mortgage Company was Suntrust Mortgage and their modification department kept telling us all that needed to happen was our lawyer needed to call them. When we confronted him, he always stated he was sending them info. Needless to say, we are living in our home only due to our parents purchase. This all happened due to my military loss of income under which I am now 100% Disabled/ Honorably Retired. We are just out of a Chp 13 as of Dec 2012 and now are repairing our credit. In short, there is a lot more to this case. I have all the documents and am trying to find a Lawyer to represent us for foreclosing on two Veterans; one of which loss 3/4 of her income due to PTSD.  Also, the Loan Modification offered by Suntrust was completely unattainable.  They wanted $12,000+ down and then some.  It was just out of our reach on such a short notice.   Thank you. Shelley

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The first thing many people do not understand is that in most all situations an attorney or a loan modification company cannot do anything more than the consumer themselves to apply for a modification. An attorney or loan modification service does not have any better chance of getting someone a loan modification than you do. However, if the lawyer misrepresented his services to you and took money up front for the modification contrary to the Federal Trade Commission rules, then you would now have to file suit against the attorney for breach of contract and unfair and deceptive business practices.

Unfortunately, legally, as explained in our terms of service, we cannot represent you or make personal referrals, but you can get a consumer protection attorney at the same sites used by other attorneys in another major city near you, or

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Real Estate Law Questions